Re: Integrating MS Word with AskSam 5

Tristan Jenkins <[log in to unmask]>

For users of askSam: A Free-form Information Manager

Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:38:06 +1100

Hello Bob,
The procedure would be something like this:

To copy the file:
1. Write a word macro using the Visual Basic FileCopy function. From memory
it is simply FileCopy(sourceFilename, destinationFilename). That's it.
2. Have the user run that macro whenever the file should be copied.

To automatically insert the file into the word document:
3. Write code that uses the objects provided with the AskSam SDK to insert
the file into the AskSam document. This part would be somewhat more
challenging than the first two steps. It would require that the programmer
understands how to use the AskSam SDK, which wouldn't be hard for a
competent programmer, but may take some time.

Some issues to consider are:
* Do you want the copied file to overwrite the previously copied file. Do
you want it to use a new name each time? Do you want to prompt the user to
enter a filename, or to do so automatically?
* What kind of checking do you want to do to ensure that the file was copied
or inserted successfully?

If you'd like me to write the entire thing for a small fee, send me an
email.

Regards,
Tristan Jenkins