Re: What defines a sentence?

David Wilson <[log in to unmask]>

For users of askSam: A Free-form Information Manager

Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:47:10 +1100

Thank you, Florian.

Please copy and paste the following into a blank askSam document and try
Actions/Other Searches/Proximity for John and Mary in the same sentence.

Name[ John Smith
Address[ 1 Smith Street, John.stown
Wife[ Mary
CommentsA[ John likes seafood.
CommentsB[ But Mary doesn't. John likes Mary
CommentsC[John.Mary.JohnMary.John,Mary .John&Mary.John!Mary. John! Mary.

It would seem that a sentence must have a period space, or a period <CR>, or
an exclamation mark space, or an exclamation mark <CR> to delimit it.
But this means that a sentence can have a carriage return in it, or even a
new field in it. Inexplicably. This is what is causing me problems in my
application on WebPublisher.

The period in John.stown is, as you say, not recognising the end of the
sentence, although the John is treated as a valid word. So a word is
delimited by a space or a period or any other punctuation mark (presumably)
or a carriage return.

It looks as though to solve my problem (unless the good folk at askSam might
be sympathetic and alter their parsing rules) for every document I will need
to end every field with a period, if I want to avoid, in Web Publisher, the
"Context" search results cell displaying the entire document!

Health to you!
David Wilson
Prahran Naturopathic, Melbourne,  Australia
www.users.bigpond.com/deedub/prahran.htm