Re: ASKSAM-L Digest - 15 Feb 2003 to 16 Feb 2003 (#2003-43)

bradleysteven <[log in to unmask]>

For users of askSam: A Free-form Information Manager

Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:22:32 -0800

To recover your file, if it truly is still in Windows explorer
1.  It's likely that the original message regarding "hyperlinks" being lost
is near the mark.  What has happened to me on occasion is that I install a
program with a different .exe file, or one that registers differently in the
Windows registry; the file associations then no longer work.  This has in
fact happened to me before with ASWin.  What I had to do in those cases was
click on the file, and the box that asks about file associations would come
up.  HOwever, I seem to remember that at least one time, that box did NOT
come up, and I had to open askSam, and THEN attempt to open the files.
2.  In addition, you should (if they will) COPY all your askSam Files to a
new directory!!! So for the time being, you will have two copies.  Then it's
best, I find, to have a separate askSam directory under your root directory,
that has no association with askSam; mine is simply, "c:\askSam Files" (no
quotes, of course)
3.  BACKUP EVERYTHING!
Sorry for the caps, but the same thing happened to me a while back, and it
taught me a lesson I will never forget.
Steve Bradley